Monday, May 18, 2015

Matthew Wilson

GHOUL IN THE CROWD

At dawn I saw him hanged
They took him to the market square
A handsome blue-eyed fellow
Tight jaw and yellow hair.

Spitting rain cooled no curiosity
Men came from far and wide to see
The low and high king’s priest
Cheered as they took him to the tree.

They say this fellow killed his family
Felled them with his father's gun
The weeping convict pays for crime
His faced turned to the sun.

He and I were friends once
I forgive the awful things he said
Now he pays unwitting for my crime
I cheer the hangman, palms blood-red.


Gerald So reads "Ghoul in the Crowd":



Subscribe to Channel Five-Two for first view of new videos.


Matthew confesses: "This poem is inspired by my fondness for Victorian crime stories and influenced by Edgar Allan Poe, who loved an unreliable narrator more than anyone."


MATTHEW WILSON has had over 150 appearances in such places as Horror Zine, Star*Line, Spellbound, Illumen, Apokrupha Press, Gaslight Press, Sorcerers Signal and many more. He is currently editing his first novel and can be contacted on Twitter @matthew94544267.

No comments: