Saturday, July 21, 2012

Poetry as Witness to Tragedy

Within hours of hearing about the midnight movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado, I received a 5-2 submission I read as a response to the tragedy. It may surprise you I don't think it was too soon.

One reflexive response to tragedy is to construct narratives, to try and make sense of it. However, does tragedy ever make sense? Can sane, peaceable people fathom warped thinking and violent eruptions? Is anything gained from trying?

As a form not bound by narrative, poetry is uniquely qualified to reflect our brokenness in the aftermath of tragedy. I'm here to read if you're moved to write.

1 comment:

Mike Arnzen said...

Great point. I remember having some writer's block following the Sept. 11th tragedy... and it took writing a poem about it to pull me out.