Monday, March 14, 2022

Charles Rammelkamp

READY, AIM

The only way to delay
my lethal injection execution?
Pick an alternate way to die.
I’m going for a firing squad.

Otherwise, I’ll die next week,
unless the judge grants
a temporary injunction
to halt the execution for now.

My clemency request denied
six weeks ago, the parole board voting
four to one against,
they picked next week’s date.

My crime? A quadruple slaying,
revenge against the people
responsible for crippling my dad
in a motorcycle accident two decades ago.

They sentenced me to two death penalties.
How many times can a person die?
I’d chased two of them with a rifle,
shot them down as they tried to escape.

“In her final moments,” the DA argued,
“when she was screaming and clawing the ground,
he shot her three times in the back.
Why should he deserve the mercy he denied his victims?”

But I’d been strung out on meth
since I was twelve, an excitable boy.
“He’s a different man now,” my lawyer observed.
“He deserves our forgiveness.”

No dice. So my Hail Mary request
to extend my life, asking to be hanged instead.
My biggest mistake?
Killing those dogs in Oklahoma.


Charles's YouTube video reading of "Ready, Aim":



Subscribe and turn on Notifications for Channel 52.


Charles confesses: "There’s so much going on in this story about Gilbert Postelle requesting to be put to death by firing squad, a legal move to delay his execution; first of all, there’s the violence that’s so pervasive in America (Gilbert participated in the revenge murder of four people in Oklahoma City in 2005) but also the tragedy of drug addiction and the excessive use of the death sentence in places like Oklahoma and Texas."


CHARLES RAMMELKAMP is Prose Editor for BrickHouse Books in Baltimore. He contributes a monthly book review to North of Oxford. A poetry chapbook, Mortal Coil, was published in 2021 by Clare Songbirds Publishing and another, Sparring Partners, by Moonstone Press. A full-length collection, The Field of Happiness, will be published in 2022 by Kelsay Books.

No comments: