Monday, December 19, 2022

Tony Dawson

MEMORY

“You know more than you are telling us,”
said the cop, staring at me across the table.
“We always know more than we remember,”
I replied. “Let me give you a ‘for instance’.
I used to know every single name
of my mother’s nine brothers and sisters
but now I can only remember two or three.
It’s the old grey matter test, you see.
When someone says he forgets, it means
he doesn’t remember not that he doesn’t know.
So, of course I know more than I’m telling you
but it’s because I don’t remember. Can I go?”


Tony's YouTube video reading of "Memory":



Subscribe and turn on Notifications for Channel 52.


Tony confesses: "I thought I would give a new twist to the routine questioning of a suspect by the police. The aim is to confuse the interrogator with irrefutable logic and chutzpah."


TONY DAWSON has lived in Seville since 1989. His writing has appeared in print in Critical Survey, Shoestring Press, Poems-for-All, Chiron Review, Pure Slush, and Loch Raven Review, as well as online at London Grip, The Syndic Literary Journal, Horror Sleaze and Trash, Cajun Mutt Press, Poetry and Covid, Beatnik Cowboy, and Home Planet News.

No comments: